For a leading global dairy player in Nigeria. • In recent years, the company faces stiff competition from existing and new players. Moreover, Nigeria is currently in the midst of a severe economic challenge. As a result, the business has seen pressure on its market position. The mandate for the business is to transform itself by investing in rebuilding the brands, capabilities and people in order to win back market share and be prepared for the significant growth that Nigeria with its 175mn population has to offer. • A key part of the future strategy is winning with the emerging middle class (EMC), which is a large opportunity in Nigeria, and our limited success is a reason why we have been losing our competitiveness. A pilot project based in Nigeria, is proposed to develop and establish a holistic EMC business model. This will also enable us to bring to life our Nourishing by Nature objective by providing quality dairy nutrition to Nigerians. • We are seeking passionate, experienced individuals, who want to make an impact on society and are able to combine breakthrough thinking with action and drive for results in a matrix structure.
1 BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
Develop and implement a holistic business strategy and plan, to successfully and profitably capture a significant share of throat with the EMC in Nigeria, through dairy related propositions.
Work closely with the Opco Management team, Category Marketing and other functions (eg Global R&D) to develop solutions based on best practice. Engage with external networks to steal with pride best in class developments, and to consider appropriate partnerships.
Develop a relevant innovation pipeline based on consumer and market insight and prepare innovation ideas for launch, following project planning approach, and handing over to the local opco team.
3 BUSINESS MODEL
Develop and implement a holistic business model including route to market to ensure successful targeted entry towards EMC in Nigeria. Align with existing route to market initiatives as relevant.
4 PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
Work within the matrix organization to drive successful acceptance of business plans, ensure adequacy of resources behind the project and on time in full implementation of the agreed activities. Ensure compliance of code of conduct and external regulatory policies and relevant laws
The role will report to the Managing Director Nigeria, with a dotted line to the Chief Marketing Officer. The team will also comprise of the following, who will report into the BD Manager/Director:
– an R&D resource who understands the company well, process technology and the science of milk streams
– a Future leader, ideally from the internal group that worked on the EMC project
– a seconded Marketeer
LEADERSHIP / BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
In addition to exhibiting the AAA values, the following would be critical to the success of the role:
• Define and communicate team goals to align behind company strategy
• Challenge complacency and be an initiator of relevant change
• Passionate about EMC business models and realizing both business and social impact
• Passion to seize the initiative and just do it
• Business acumen to judge material opportunities / issues and to drive company growth & profit
3) Innovation mindset
• Find new ways of solving current issues (relating to consumer, processes, people)
• Challenge the status quo and create an environment of innovation
• Bring in relevant best practice
4) Strategic influencing and change management
• Use personal credibility to build trust
• Use complex rationales to sell ideas, views or products to internal and external stakeholders up to senior management level
5) Partnership building
• Ability to connect and build partnerships with external, non-conventional, partners to develop integrated business models with a shared objective to bring quality dairy nutrition to Nigerians
KNOW HOW, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE FOR THIS POSITION
(a) Academic/ Professional Qualifications
Tertiary qualifications, preferably in business administration or marketing
(b) Language Proficiency
Fluency in English.
At least 10-12 years management experience with not less than 6 years of commercial experience and people management. Exposure to business development, shopper marketing, sales or international marketing would be an added asset. Prior experience in emerging markets (ideally West Africa) is essential, preferably in establishing a targeted EMC solution.
(d) Specialized knowledge or skills required
Must demonstrate skills in and understanding of Social media and new technology